Natas Do Ceu! Heave’s Cream!
This is definately one of my very favourite portuguese deserts EVER! I actualy don’t know one portuguese person that dosn’t like it! It is very simple to make!
What you will need :
- pack of Bolacha Maria cbiscuits (about 16 cookies) – tea biscuits are good too 🙂
- 500ml of heavy cream
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tbs water
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tbsp
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Mash the cookies into fine crumbs and set aside.
- For the egg sweet topping
- In a small sauce pan, pour in 2 tablespoons of water and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Stir.
- Heat the sugar water until it forms a light threadlike syrup but do not boil or allow to become golden.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yolks with a teaspoon of the milk. Gradually, while still whisking, drizzle in the sugar syrup, incorporating it thoroughly into the yolks. Set aside.
- For the white mousse
- Beat the cream with 1/4 cup sugar until peaks form and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites, until foamy. Continue to beat on high speed while gradually incorporating 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the cream until the egg whites are thoroughly incorporated.
- To bring it all together
- Work in alternate layers starting on the bottom of glass bowl with the cookie crumbs. Pour a layer of cream followed by a layer of cookies until there’s no more left of both then ending with topping it all with the sweetened egg yolks and sprinkle some with crumbs .
Ok, if you try this I really hope you enjoy it as much as we portuguese do 🙂