I havn’t been very active on the ‘wednesday recipe’ lately I know. Simply because I havn’t been baking as much. But santa give me a new recipe book and I promissed to try and bake every recipe from it ! Let’s see how that goes 😂
So I started with this one! Hot Cross Buns!
This is my second try at it . On sunday I baked some and I am pretty sure no one would even look at them twice ! I’ve missread the oven temperatures and they burned… Bad! 😂
But you learn from your mistakes right?
So these were baked yesterday and they look yummy!Ok maybe they don’t look how hot cross buns should look but trust me when I say they taste amazing!
This recipe belongs to one of my favourite bakers ever! Mary Berry! Google her! You shall find amazing recipes!
So here’s what you will need:
- 450g white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tbs freshly grated nutmeg
- 7g fast action yeast
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g butter melted,cooled
- 150ml tepid milk
- 5tbsp tepid water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g currants
- 2 baking sheets
For the glazing:
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp water
How to :
- Lightly grease the baking sheets
- Measurethe flour,salt,spices,yeast and sugar in a bowl and mix.Make a hole in the centre and pour in the melted butter,milk,water and egg,then add the currants.
- mix to a soft dough and knead for about 10m on a floured surface.Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm.Let it rito to double the size,about 1h30 in a warm room.
- Move the dough to a floured surface and knead for another 2-3 minutes. Divide the dough in 12 equal parts and shape each to a round bun.Make a cross on the top of each bunwith a knife and place them on the baking sheetscovered with clingfil. Let it rise again for another 30minutes.Preheat the oven to 220, 200 fan,gas 7.
- Bake the buns for about 15minutes until brown.While the buns are baking dissolve the sugar in the water over a gentle heat.As soon as the buns come out the oven brush them with the glaze.
There you are! Beautiful yummy buns!
Hope you enjoy it!